Being stubborn isn’t always a bad thing. But if you’re standing your ground for the wrong reasons (like if you hate to be wrong), you’ll do more damage than good. Since it’s hard to recognise stubbornness in yourself, look out for these signs that you’re being inflexible:
- You keep at an idea or plan, or insist on making your point, even when you know you’re wrong.
- You do what you want to do even if no one else wants you to do it.
- When others present an idea, you tend to point out all the reasons it won’t work.
- You visibly feel anger, frustration, and impatience when others try to persuade you of something you don’t agree with.
- You commit halfheartedly to others’ requests because you know you’re going to do something entirely different.
The above leadership tip...
was sent in response to a question from a participant on our 10/10 leadership development and mentoring programme and adapted from Signs That You’re Being Too Stubborn by Muriel Wilkins. Whether you're a first time manager or an experienced leader, straightforward, practical advice on best practice is hard to find. Until now. To find out how you, your team or your organisation can benefit, please join us on our next complimentary webinar or contact us.