Given today's political and social environments, it doesn't take much for a minor disagreement to escalate quickly. With people's sensitivities at their peak, strong emotions are likely to emerge at the mere mention of certain topics. To lead with emotional intelligence is critical in these situations.
- Remain self-aware. Negative emotions, such as anger and frustration, will hijack your body.
- Show respect. While you may vehemently disagree with this person, everyone has a right to their opinions.
- Establish mutual ground. There is something within every topic that two parties can agree upon, even if it's based on a broad concept.
- Foster trust. People want to be heard and need to trust that they can voice their opinions without consequence.
- Agree to disagree. Differing viewpoints, values, expectations, needs, and personalities in general are what make this world work. Learn to appreciate and value diversity rather than force your opinion.
- End the conversation. Willingness to walk away before too much damage is done is a demonstration of confidence and emotional intelligence.
The above leadership tip...
was sent in response to a question from a participant on our acclaimed 10/10 leadership development and mentoring programme. Whether you're a first time manager or an experienced leader, straightforward, practical advice on best practice is hard to find. Until now. To find out how you, your team or your organisation can benefit, please join us on our next complimentary webinar or contact us.
HOW TO THRIVE IN THESE UNPRECEDENTED TIMES
As part of the government's current business support packages, we have been awarded funding to deliver our acclaimed 10/10 leadership development and mentoring programme "live and online" to help those now working from home. This 10-week cyclical programme, leading to the award of a certificate in leadership development, offers cutting-edge insights into change, resilience, wellbeing, motivation, teams, communication, strategy, influencing, effectiveness and self-awareness. READ MORE
For more tips...
on leadership and management good practice, subscribe to a Minute with Montgomery on 10TV.
Looking for a first-class speaker...
William Montgomery, Founder and CEO of TEN, is in demand to speak at events and conferences and usually achieves the highest ratings and accolades. To make a speaking enquiry for your next event, whether online, in-house or in public, please CONTACT us.